Skip Navigation
This table is used for column layout.
Town Resources
  • Agendas & Minutes
  • Forms, Documents & Permits
  • Pay Bill Online
  • GIS/Maps
  • Contacts Directory
  • Subscribe to News
  • Live Stream and Recorded Video
  • Charter & Ordinances
  • Employment Opportunities
  • RFPs / Legal Notices
  • 250th Anniversary
  • Casino Development Agreement
Commercial Development Permits
Commercial Development/Permits: A Zoning Permit is required for the construction of any commercial building, structure, or sign and fences 8 feet or higher. In addition, most commercial development projects also require a site plan approval from the Planning & Zoning Commission. Permitting for zoning permits is not an overnight process and may take anywhere from one to four weeks depending on project and other approvals that may be required. If site plan approval is required by the Commission, it could take two months or more. Please plan ahead for your development project.

Zoning Permit requirements: Commercial developments on a well or septic sanitation system you will need approval from North Central District Health Department before applying for your zoning permit. North Central can be reached at 121 Pearl Street, Enfield, CT 06083. Phone number: 860-745-0383. All applicants on town sewer need to contact the WPCA at 292-8264 to ensure adequate capacity exists.

All applications for a zoning permit require the following:

• Approval from North Central District Health Department and/or WPCA, if applicable.

• Approval from the Conservation/Wetlands Commission if the proposed improvement is with a regulated area.

• A complete Zoning Permit Application, including the application fee.

• An A-2 survey (signed and sealed by an appropriate design professional) approved by the commission. Bonding for erosion and sedimentation control may be required.

Zoning Sign Permit requirements: All advertising signs in commercial districts require a zoning sign permit. All applications for a zoning sign permit require the following:

• A complete Zoning Permit Application, including the application fee.

• A plot plan showing the location of the sign on the property with distances to property lines.

• A sketch of the sign that includes size, dimensions, color, materials, height, and wording.