Skip Navigation
This table is used for column layout.
Town Resources
  • Agendas & Minutes
  • Forms, Documents & Permits
  • Pay Bill Online
  • GIS/Maps
  • Contacts Directory
  • Subscribe to News
  • Live Stream and Recorded Video
  • Charter & Ordinances
  • Employment Opportunities
  • RFPs / Legal Notices
  • 250th Anniversary
  • Casino Development Agreement
 
August 27, 2008 Meeting Minutes
TOWN OF EAST WINDSOR
WATER POLLUTION CONTROL AUTHORITY

Minutes of Meeting of August 27, 2008

Members Present:        Paul Anderson, Tom Davis, Dave Tyler and Jim Barton

Members Absent: Mark Livings and Ed Farrell (Alternate)

Others Present: WPCA Superintendent Kevin Leslie, WPCA Attorney Vincent Purnhagen, and Recording Secretary Laura Michael

Time and Place
Paul Anderson, Chairman, called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. at the East Windsor Water Pollution Control Authority Administration Bldg., 192 South Water St., East Windsor, CT.  

I.  Designate Alternate to Sit for Absent Member
There were all regular members present.

II. Acceptance of Minutes of June 25, 2008

Motion:         To accept the minutes of July 30, 2008.
                Barton/Davis
                In favor: Barton, Davis
                Abstained: Tyler
Passed

III. Payment of Bills

Motion: To authorize the payment of the August 27, 2008 bill sheet in the amount of $46,372.72.
        Davis/Barton    
        Discussion:  Mr. Leslie went over the Bill Sheet outlining any unusual bills.  Mr. Leslie explained that there are a lot of bills for maintenance supplies because Marc Brennan can fix anything.
        Passed unanimously

IV. Visitors
Nick Vamvilis, 42 Bridge St
        Mr. Vamvilis explained that he was present to question the sewer use bill for 42A&B Bridge St.  He explained that the building has two floors with two entrances; there are two electric meters, two gas meters and two bathrooms on each floor; one for men and one for women.  There is minimal water use in this building.  Mr. Vamvilis explained that there are two rentable spaces in the building and he rents the entire building to one tenant.  Mr. Leslie explained that when the sewer use bills are calculated he goes out to look at properties that are in question.  Since there were signs for four businesses, they were billed for four sewer use units.  Mr. Leslie will check with the Assessor’s Office to determine how many rentable units there are and he will get back to Mr. Vamvilis next week.  Mr. Vamvilis has paid his sewer use bill.  He thanked the Board and left the meeting at this time.

        
        Attorney Gerlt, Griffin Rd
        Attorney Gerlt was not present and Mr. Anderson didn’t want to discuss this when he wasn’t at the meeting.

V. Receipt of Applications
        There were no new applications.

VI. Approval of Applications
NRT Realty LLC, Bridge St
Mr. Leslie reported that the application is all set and Mr. Norton’s memo has been received.

Motion: To approve the application of NRT Realty LLC, Bridge St.
                Tyler/Davis
                Passed unanimously

        VII. Legal
        SUC Relief for Disability
        Mr. Leslie explained that a property owner was receiving property tax relief from the Town and was seeking relief from the sewer user charge. This person was not present at the meeting. Attorney Purnhagen reported that he was looking for an exemption for sewer user charges but he only sees property relief from the Assessor.

FCC Regulations
        Attorney Purnhagen distributed a draft copy of the FCC Regulations which is a combination of the former two documents.  This item will be kept on the agenda and the Board Members will review the document.
        
        Motion: To suspend the regular meeting for the purpose of holding the public hearing scheduled for 7:30 p.m.
                Tyler/Davis
                Passed unanimously

VIII. Public Hearing Scheduled at 7:30 p.m.

       Motion:         To open the public hearing for M&L Mason’s Brook LLC, 11 Masons Brook Lane and Curtis, 170 Prospect Hill Rd     
                Tyler/Davis     
                Passed unanimously

                There was no one present for M&L Mason’s Brook LLC, 11 Masons Brook Lane.  Mr. Leslie explained that this is a new single family house and one-half of the FCC has been paid.

        There was no one present for Curtis, 170 Prospect Hill Rd.  Mr. Leslie explained that this is an existing single family house that had a failed septic system and one-half of the FCC has been paid.

        Motion: To close the public hearing for M&L Mason’s Brook LLC, 11 Masons Brook Lane                     and  Curtis, 170 Prospect Hill Rd
                        Tyler/Barton
        Passed unanimously

Motion: To resume the regular meeting.
        Tyler/Davis
                        Passed unanimously
Legal - Continued
Pump Station Agreement – SJK Properties, Quarry Meadows
        There was nothing to report.

Rya Corporation
        There was nothing to report.

        Nitrogen Credit
        Mr. Anderson asked Attorney Purnhagen what they were allowed to do with the Nitrogen Credit money.  Does it have to go into the WPCA general fund or can it be used for something else?  Mr. Barton felt the money should be used to favorably impact the sewer user charge.  Mr. Anderson explained that this was exceptional income; couldn’t it be used for any WPCA purpose?  Mr. Tyler felt the money should be used to reduce the sewer user charge.  Attorney Purnhagen read from the letter from the State of CT DEP that funds are to remain with and be used by the WPCA to benefit the operation, maintenance and improvement of the WPCA facilities, although, this would cover a broad area. Mr. Barton didn’t think they should go out looking for something to spend the money on, if there was something needed, then it could be used.

        IX. Action on Facility Connection Charges

Motion: To impose the Facility Connection Charges as published for M&L Mason’s Brook LLC, 11 Masons Brook Lane and Curtis, 170 Prospect Hill Rd.
        Barton/Tyler
        Passed unanimously

        X. Unfinished Business
Newberry Rd Assessments/Prospect Hill Rd Assessments
        Mr. Leslie distributed spread sheets with the draft assessment information for Newberry Rd and Prospect Hill Rd.  He gave Attorney Purnhagen a copy of the assessment policy for him to look over and make any needed changes.  There was a lengthy discussion concerning the Prospect Hill Rd Assessments.  The need for consistency was discussed.  It was the consensus that for the Prospect Hill Rd Assessments, they would find the average cost per foot, subtract the cost of the lower part of the project, charge what is fair and recover 50% of the cost. Mr. Leslie explained that the Board would need to adopt the assessment policy, then a letter would be sent to each property owner explaining their assessment and a public hearing would need to be scheduled.   

        *Attorney Purnhagen left the meeting at 8:33 p.m.
                
Modification of Sewer Service Area
        Mr. Leslie explained that the map is basically ready.  The Board Members looked at the map.  Mr. Tyler felt the area of Rice Rd, Rolocut Rd and Harrington Rd should be included in the SSA; there are failing septic systems in this area.  Mr. Anderson stated that this area already has houses so they would not be developing anything.  Mr. Leslie will make the changes and have the map ready for next month.

        


        XI. New Business
        Superintendent’s Report
        Mr. Leslie reported that he is scheduled for the Selectman’s Meeting on Tuesday night concerning the Pump Station Controls.  The third pump station was completed today.  The new truck is in CT and will go to Hartford Truck.  Mr. Leslie explained that the new truck has a hoist and he would like to auction off the pallet jack that is at the plant.  At the same time, he would like to auction off the old jet truck.  Bid Notices would be placed in the newspaper.  The oxidation ditch needs to be cleaned; Mr. Leslie will put together a budget for doing this for the Board.  There is money set aside.

        Mr. Leslie reported that there are a lot of delinquent accounts.  The economy is bad and there are a larger number of delinquencies.  Mr. Leslie explained that there is a delinquent account in a plaza where they have had problems in the past.  There have been several tenants in the unit and the sewer use bill is not being paid.  It is the property owner’s responsibility. The Board agreed that Attorney Purnhagen should send a letter to the property owner.

                XII. Adjournment

Motion: To adjourn the meeting at 8:50 p.m.
                Barton/Davis
                
                                
Respectfully submitted,


Laura Michael   
Recording Secretary