TOWN OF EAST WINDSOR
The following ordinance was adopted at a special Town Meeting duly warned and held on December 21, 2010.
“An Ordinance Creating an Economic Development Commission”
1. Pursuant to Sections 7-136 32-7, 32-23c, 32-99, 32-100, and 32-175 of the Connecticut General Statutes, and as
created by Town Charter and Ordinance of January of 1964 and revised under the Town Charter of 2009 Chapter 7
Section 7-2(E) there is hereby established a comprehensive program to promote economic development in the Town
of East Windsor and there is also established an Economic Development Commission for the Town of East Windsor.
2. The purpose of this Ordinance is to provide for economic development in the Town of East Windsor by revising the
ordinance establishing an Economic Development Commission, preparation of an economic development plan and
strategy, and promotion of the growth, retention and diversification of business, industry and tourism through
marketing, property tax incentives, and infrastructure development.
3. The commission is comprised of five (5) regular members and two (2) alternate members who shall reside in the
Town of East Windsor. The members are appointed by the Board of Selectman. Two (2) members to serve for a
term of one (1) year from January 1, 2011 two (2) members to serve for a term of two (2) years from January 1,
2011 and one (1) member to serve for a term of three (3) years from January 1, 2011, and thereafter each member
shall be appointed for a term of four (4) years. Said Economic Development Commission shall designate the
chairman of said Commission. If no Chairman is designated, then said chief executive authority shall designate the
chairman of said commission. All members appointed pursuant hereto shall serve until their successors are duly
appointed and qualified.
4. Any vacancy in the membership of the commission shall be filled for the unexpired portion of the term by the chief
executive authority. Any such alternate members shall, when seated, have all the powers and duties of a member of
the commission. In any case in which the members of the commission or alternates are appointed by the chief
executive authority, any member or alternate may be removed by such authority for cause and, on request of such
member or alternate, after public hearing.
5. The commission shall conduct research into the economic conditions and trends in its municipality, shall make
recommendations to appropriate officials and agencies of its municipality regarding action to improve its economic
condition and development, shall seek to coordinate the activities of and cooperate with unofficial bodies organized
to promote such economic development and may advertise and may prepare, print and distribute books, maps, charts
and pamphlets which in its judgment will further its official purposes.
6. The Economic Development Commission shall have the following officers: Chairman, Vice-Chairman and
Secretary. All meetings will be chaired by the Chairman. In the absence of the Chairman, meeting will be chaired by
the Vice-Chairman. In the event that both Chairman and Vice-Chairman are absent, the meeting will be chaired by
the Secretary. Meetings are to be held monthly, on a regularly scheduled day and time to be determined by the
commission, and as needed for special projects or hearings at the discretion of the Chairman.
7. The Economic Development Commission will annually submit a budget request to the Board of Selectmen for
inclusion in the Town of East Windsor’s budget during the month of February or as directed by the Board of
Se1ectmen. Economic Development Commission funds annually appropriated for its purposes may not exceed onetwentieth
of one per cent of the last-completed grand list of taxable property.
8. Commission shall annually prepare and transmit to Board of Selectman a report of its activities and of its
recommendations for improving such economic conditions and development.
Ordinance (64-2) is hereby repealed.
This ordinance shall become effective fifteen (15) days after publication thereof in a newspaper having a circulation
in the Town of East Windsor.
Ord. 10-07 Attest: _____________________________
Joanne M. Slater, Town Clerk CCTC
Journal Inquirer Town Clerk of East Windsor
January 3, 2011